Applying eyeliner – one of the simplest ways to spruce up your look but it’s also one of the trickiest mainly because of the various types of eyeliners out there. You can choose from pencil eyeliners, liquid eyeliners, gel eyeliners, and even felt-tip eyeliners. At this point, you’re probably telling yourself: “That many?!” Yes but don’t worry. It’s easier than you think. Here’s how to apply eyeliner properly.
1. Choose your weapon – make sure you have eyeliner that you’re comfortable using. For beginners, pencil eyeliners or felt-tip eyeliners are easier to apply. Liquid eyeliners and gel eyeliners, on the other hand, require a steady hand and a lot of practice.
2. How to apply eyeliner on your upper lid – hold the eyeliner with your dominant hand and carefully position the tip on the area where you want the line to start. To achieve a more natural look start on the middle or outer part of your eye depending on where your eyelashes appear thicker. Applying eyeliner on your entire lid line will produce a more dramatic effect.
3. Now the fun part, let’s start lining! Don’t get too excited and apply eyeliner on your entire upper lid all at one go. Taught the skin on eyelid outward – do this gently (Not too much as this will result to sagging). This will help you apply eyeliner easily and will help make a straighter line. It’s best to start with short strokes, to produce short featherlike lines, from your starting point down to the end point. This way, if you make a mistake, you can easily go over it and not apply eyeliner all over again.
4. Bring it all together – Go over all the small lines with your eyeliner to produce one line that’s smoother and straighter. If you’re a beginner, this step will require more practice. As with any skill, applying eyeliner takes time and practice so don’t get disappointed if you don’t get it on the first try. Take your time, don’t rush. As most women know – and what most men don’t understand as much – perfection takes time.
5. From top to the bottom – After the first four steps, you can also apply eyeliner to your bottom lid. This step is optional if you want a natural look and you don’t want your eyeliner to look obvious. Applying eyeliner to your bottom lid doesn’t really require short strokes. You can now get excited and apply eyeliner on your bottom lid in one go.
6. The clean-up – take a cotton swab and then run it through the upper part of your eyeliner to make it neater. A cotton swab is best when cleaning up after applying eyeliner so make sure to clean up all the unwanted smudges.
Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?
A few extras you need to know:
- If your skin is oily, it’s advisable to use a primer before applying eyeliner to avoid creasing. When you don’t have a primer, you can make your line last longer by going over your eyeliner with an eye shadow.
- You can spice things up by outwardly flicking the eyeliner to make a wing.
- The thickness will depend on you but remember this: The thinner the eyeliner, the more natural it looks.
- Don’t be afraid to try on other colors. There are other colors that exist out there other than black and brown, you know. Applying blue-colored eyeliner, for example, is great for making brown-colored eyes pop-out.
Good luck and let us know your experiences!