Hair — a lot of time goes into taking care of it. Well, maybe not all the time especially in cases where we’ve bombarded our hair with straighteners, curling irons, blow dryers, perming chemicals and more! Whew! Our hair needs a break from all of that, don’t you think?
Natural hair care products, such as organic shampoos and organic conditioners, are healthier options to give our hair that much needed “breather” it longs for. These products can deliver the same results — sometimes even better — minus the harmful chemicals. So if you’ve been using the usual hair care products for the past couple of years, then you may want to consider going into the direction of natural and organic hair care.
“What exactly am I getting myself into?” If it’s your first time to use organic hair care products, there’s nothing to worry about. Organic hair care products have natural ingredients that are milder compared to their synthetic counterpart. This means a lesser risk of developing allergies and other irritations. Your hair will also receive the nourishment it needs from the natural ingredients. It’s like eating healthy!
Natural and Organic hair care products are also easy to find. There are millions of products that are out in the market these days but this could be both a pro and a con. Some products claim that all the ingredients are natural despite containing dangerous chemicals. So here are a few things to think about before purchasing one :
1. Google it — It’s always beneficial to double check the ingredients list online for chemicals that are harmful. If the organic hair care product you want contains some, then think twice. I have a rule for this: if the chemical name is unreadable, then it’s probably toxic.
2. Do I smell something? — You shouldn’t. It’s better to opt for fragrance free products. “Organic” shampoos and conditioners that have a “botanical” scent were probably added with fragrance additives which are not safe.
3. Cruelty free please! — Make sure that what you’re choosing has cruelty free logos. We’re happy and so should the animals.
Make you own natural hair care treatments
If you’re feeling more DIY these days, there’s always the option of making your own concoction. Take making a homemade hair conditioner for example! When you do it yourself, you’ll know exactly what goes into the mix and into your hair. Here are 2 home products that have been proven and tested:
1. Olive oil or coconut oil for hair — apply about a spoonful (depending on your hair length) of it on your palm. Rub your palms together then apply it all over clean hair concentrating on your ends — and not really on your roots. Put a plastic cap over your head and leave it like that for a couple of minutes (more than 5 minutes). Rinse off with shampoo and then apply conditioner.
2. Mayonnaise minus the bread — now this has been used ever since, well, my mother can’t even remember when! Applying mayonnaise is a good way to condition your hair, making it more manageable and shiny. It’s as easy as combing mayonnaise all over your hair and then rinsing it. Go with home made natural mayo of course.
No matter which way you’re going with your hair care, just remember to let your hair “breath” every once in awhile by skipping all the unnatural chemicals!